Venues & Events
UniSpace to host Sunderland’s Big Bike Ride
- Category: Venues & Events
- Created on Friday, 18 May 2012 14:50
UniSpace to host Sunderland’s Big Bike RideUniSpace, part of the University of Sunderland, will open its facilities to support this year’s ‘BIG Bike Ride’ in Sunderland on May 26th and 27th.
The BIG Bike Ride is part of the Sunderland in 2012 programme of sporting and cultural events and opportunities, designed to celebrate the upcoming London Olympic and Paralympic Games. Launched in 2011, the 2012 event has been significantly developed, with routes redesigned to provide a better cycling experience for all participants.
The event will see more than 500 people gather at UniSpace’s Sir Tom Cowie campus to begin their choice of four rides, with something suitable for all ages and abilities, from families to the veteran cyclist. UniSpace will transform its campus into a sporting arena, complete with a sports massage clinic in the University’s Prospect Building, physiotherapy support and outdoor event catering to support riders along the way. The ride will also end at the Sir Tom Cowie campus.
Councillor Watson, speaking on behalf of Sunderland City Council said: “I’m delighted to launch the Sunderland in 2012 BIG Bike Ride. We hope that this will build on the success of last year’s inaugural event, which had over 500 people taking part.”
Sharon Olver, University of Sunderland Commercial Manager responsible for UniSpace, added: “This is a huge event for the region and we are thrilled that UniSpace is able to host an exciting sporting event. We are looking forward to seeing the space transformed to accommodate hundreds of cyclists!”
Pictured: Councillor Watson of Sunderland City Council with riders preparing for the Big Bike Ride
More hotel news
- Radisson Blu Hotel East Midlands Airport placed in the top-performing 10% of all businesses worldwide by TripAdvisor
- Dusit Thani Manila creates Silence Room as part of new Club Lounge
- Red Carnation Hotels adds Ashford Castle, Ireland, to its portfolio of award-winning properties
- Mainport hotel opens in Rotterdam
- Swissôtel Hotels & Resorts continues expansion in China with a new hotel in Xi’an