Venues & Events
Twickenham tackles sustainability
- Category: Venues & Events
- Created on Friday, 13 April 2012 13:39
Twickenham tackles sustainabilityTwickenham Stadium, incorporating Twickenham Experience, has announced a significant boost to its already impressive sustainability programme by appointing a full time Sustainability Manager and launching a three year strategy. Dru Morton has taken on the new role, bringing a wealth of experience as an Energy and Sustainability consultant for Johnson Controls, where he worked with a range of clients including IBM, Barclays and the BBC.
Twickenham, the Home of England Rugby and RFU head office, will further develop its comprehensive sustainability programme across five core areas: governance; waste management; energy management; transport; and procurement.
A number of significant sustainability targets have already been met in these areas by the stadium, including: increasing recycling to 65% of all waste generated on site, as a result of Twickenham’s ‘Recycle More than the Ball’ campaign; re-use of the original South Stand concrete in the redevelopment of the new stand; automated sub-metering to better target and eliminate energy wastage across the stadium; closed-loop office paper recycling; and a local food sourcing policy to reduce food miles.
In 2009, the RFU joined the Major of London’s Green 500 scheme and achieved a Gold award for its carbon saving activities.
Simon Mills, Head of Sales and Marketing at Twickenham Experience, commented: ‘The green agenda is still an important aspect of venue selection for meetings planners, in our experience. There is an expectation that certain environmentally responsible practices will be in place, but we aim to go beyond the basics to deliver a comprehensive sustainability policy that we can be proud of.’
More hotel news
- Hotels G announces expansion of trendy lifestyle brand Hotel G
- Centara works with EarthCheck as part of its green and sustainable tourism policy
- Jumeirah to become official Hotel Partner of the Statoil Masters Tennis
- The Westin Resort Nusa Dua, Bali supports the BII Maybank Bali Marathon 2013
- THE PIG continues expansion with purchase of Hunstrete House near Bath and will open winter 2013