The “Green Meetings by the Blue Waters Lake" project focuses on the development of a green code of conduct for the region, to enhance the attractiveness of the destination both nationally and internationally. The project aims to improve meetings making them more sustainable and to promote and spread the culture and know-how of eco-efficient and socially responsible management of events for the business audience. The initiative has been developed by The Lake Maggiore Meeting Industry – a new collective made up of operators in the area.
The first corporate green meeting took place at the Hotel Le Robinie – Solbiate Olona in the Varese region , chosen by local partners as the most suitable and sustainable venue for the event.
Green Initiatives for the event included:
• reduction of pollution: outdoor and completely green post-congress activities
• catering: use of seasonal products and use of local products
• waste management: separate collection of products for recycling and reduction of the use of paper
• re-use of materials: water only in glass bottles or carafes, washable plates and catering items, elimination of throwaway items
• energy saving: air conditioning only used as and when needed, advice given to guests on energy saving tips
Lisa Tondini, Director of Varese Convention & Visitors Bureau said: “The event was a great success. At the end of the meeting we received enthusiastic feedback from guests and from the Collective as a whole. We felt really proud about that, because this kind of green philosophy is passionately shared by every institution involved in tourism in the province of Varese and we all want to keep it this way.”
Judy Till, Owner of the RAM Organisation that represents the Lake Maggiore Meeting Industry in the UK, said: “The Lake Maggiore region is an outstanding backdrop for corporate events – an immense body of water set in a crown of beautiful mountains. It is great to see local partners there taking steps to preserve its beauty by taking sustainability so seriously. They know that the corporate events market needs to do as much as possible to lower their carbon footprint and by putting green issues at the heart of their business strategy they are ensuring that the region remains unspoilt for generations to come.”