Situated in the Glover Park neighbourhood, Kimpton’s newest D.C. hotel unveils locally inspired design, a new Michael Schlow restaurant and sweeping views of the nation’s capitalKimpton Hotels & Restaurants has opened Kimpton Glover Park Hotel, Kimpton’s tenth hotel in Washington, D.C. Perched above a tree-lined, picturesque neighbourhood on the border of Glover Archbold Park just north of Georgetown, the Glover Park Hotel is designed to provide an alluring getaway. Situated just minutes from the heart of the city, the hotel is nearby to Georgetown and George Washington Universities, the Vice President’s home, Washington National Cathedral and several embassies including Russia, UK, Brazil, France and Belgium.
The hotel’s connection to nature, an inspiration taken from the neighbourhood’s namesake – Charles Carroll Glover – who helped shape the city’s most iconic parks, is reflected throughout. This is the result of world-renowned artist Michele Oka Doner’s vision and blends a metropolitan edge with familial comfort and tranquility.
A plethora of surrounding green spaces and parks, coupled with Oka Doner’s proclivity for abstract organic art, combine to create an aesthetic that is both youthful and sophisticated, perfect for those seeking an upscale getaway. Guests will be greeted by thoughtful design pieces including a custom map of Rock Creek Park on the property’s eight-story façade, original mixed-media artwork and handmade light fixtures by the artist herself, as well as natural textiles throughout the communal spaces.
Glover Park Hotel features ample accommodations that will be similarly enveloped in a calming green and white botanical colour scheme, punctuated with luxurious wood finishes and playful details. 25 of the 154 premier guest rooms feature unobstructed views of the National Mall and Potomac River, a treat for anyone longing to relish the iconic sites. In addition, those who desire extra time in the nation’s capital will appreciate the 21 fully equipped kitchenette rooms, each of which include a small refrigerator, Keurig coffee maker, microwave, crockery, glassware and utensils. Guests can rest easy with completely reappointed light-filled rooms, memory foam beds, Doner’s custom artwork and modern work desks.
Inside the hotel is Casolare, a new restaurant helmed by acclaimed Chef Michael Schlow who was named “Best Chef in the Northeast” by the James Beard Foundation and operates the popular Riggsby restaurant in The Carlyle Dupont Circle. Casolare will be Schlow’s fourth restaurant in Washington, D.C. The 156-seat restaurant will open in July and offer coastal Italian menus, which include antipasti, wood stone-fired pizzas and a wide selection of seafood from the regions of Amalfi, Sardinia, Puglia, Cinque Terre and Livorno. At night, guests can further experience Casolare’s home-style Italian cuisine through room service.
For those planning memorable meetings and events, Glover Park Hotel will offer over 2,800 square feet of meeting space including the Walnut Room, a 1,860 square foot ballroom washed in natural light for weddings, large events and meetings of up to 200 guests. Steps from the hotel’s living room and restaurant Casolare is the 1,000 square foot restored sophisticated Tunlaw Terrace, an open-air space best suited for events of up to 150 guests. Casolare can provide catering for all events and meetings at Glover Park Hotel with completely customised menu options.
Committed to elevating the property for guests and locals alike, the hotel has partnered with Graham King’s Urban Athletic Club to create a unique boutique-style signature fitness experience. It will offer guests and local residents state-of-the-art equipment, facilities and daily access to the city’s most sought-after fitness trainers. Classes including the signature Urban Athlete Class, which combines strength, cardio and core into a comprehensive, total body workout, are also available. Those looking to incorporate a workout into their work travel are welcome to join King and local experts for one-on-one sessions and group fitness classes at a special rate.
Groups planning corporate meetings or social blocks can shake them up with tailored breaks fashioned by King himself and designed for a variety of fitness levels. Beginning in late June, the hotel’s General Manager Jennifer Harris will join King to host Friday morning boot camp sessions, which look to energise guests ahead of the weekend.
Upon opening, Kimpton Glover Park Hotel has unveiled a distinct set of facilities as part of its inspired hotel programming for guests:
• Grow with Glover Park Program: Travellers with children can appreciate family-friendly amenities available upon request including a custom colouring storybook, Charlie’s Great Glover Park Adventure, jogging strollers for active parents, highchairs, booster seats and swing seats, among other complimentary family travel must-haves.
• Custom Tea Blend: The hotel called upon local gourmet tea maker Capital Teas to create a special proprietary blend enjoyed only at Glover Park Hotel. The custom green tea is a blend of organic sencha with cherry, jasmine blossom and rose notes that is bright and floral. Guests can take a sip during the complimentary morning drinks service and enjoy it iced throughout the day in the living room or at the hotel’s nightly hosted wine hour as a non-alcoholic alternative. The tea will also be available for purchase in the hotel’s mini bar.
• Telescopes: The hotel’s 25 signature city view guest rooms are furnished with in-room telescopes, perfect for enjoying the sweeping city skyline views that stretch past the iconic sites of the National Mall to the Potomac River.
• Family Hour: On Friday afternoons, Glover Park Hotel invites families to enjoy quality time together with child-friendly refreshments, games and even a caricature artist ready to capture family memories.
• Live at 5: On Wednesdays, during the hotel’s hosted evening wine hour, the living room transforms into an intimate setting where guests can appreciate some of D.C.’s legendary jazz heritage with weekly performances.
Kimpton Glover Park Hotel guest amenities include a complimentary shuttle to and from the Woodley Park Metro Station and Smithsonian National Zoo, as well as Kimpton brand favourites such as the Forgot It? We’ve Got It! menu of travel essentials and health-minded wellness options including complimentary custom PUBLIC bike rentals, complimentary 24-hour access to the Urban Athletic Club and an in-room on-demand yoga channel along with recycled mats from Tenleytown-based Kiss the Sky.