The Shine Awards, sponsored by Unilever Food Solutions, are the only awards that celebrate the achievements of women working in the hospitality, passenger transport, travel, tourism and retail industries, and the mentors and businesses that actively support women’s careers in those industries.
Those shortlisted from the travel industry include Affordable Car Hire and travel training and consultancy firm, Debbee Dale Development, which are both in the running for the Small Business award.
The winners will be announced at a black-tie dinner hosted by former England rugby star, Matt Dawson MBE, on 16 September 2014 at the London Marriott Grosvenor Square.
The awards evening will also see Women 1st inducting 10 new members into its prestigious Top 100 Club – a network of the most influential women in the hospitality, passenger transport, travel and tourism industries.
Tickets for the awards dinner are available to purchase now at www.women1st.co.uk/shine Simone Roche, director of Women 1st, said she was thrilled with the volume and calibre of nominations for this year’s awards.
She commented: “It’s fantastic to read so many inspiring stories of women achieving great things in our industries. Women are still underrepresented at senior levels in the travel sector, so celebrating and sharing these stories is incredibly important to create strong role models for our future female leaders. It’s going to be a tough job to pick the winners!”
The full shortlist for the 2014 Women 1st Shine Awards is as follows:
Rising Star Award
· Graziela Bittencourt – Banqueting Manager, London Marriott Hotel Grosvenor Square
· Alexandra Flinton – Materials Manager, East Coast Main Line Company Ltd
· Linzi Martin – District Operations Manager, William Hill
· Louisa May Matthews – Junior Sous Chef, Sodexo
· Janie Stamford – Foodservice Editor, The Caterer
Stepping Up Award
· Catherine Barras – Operations Manager, BaxterStorey
· Jo Dowell – Director of Human Resources, St Pancras Renaissance Hotel
· Katy Green – Operations Manager, Premier Inn London Kings Cross/St. Pancras
· Janine Marshall – Executive Assistant Director, One Aldwych
· Claire Maynard – Retail Business Manager, Mitchells & Butlers
Mentor of the Year Award · Stephanie Hamilton – Executive Operations Director, ISS Food and Hospitality
· Jeanette Pritchard – Founder and Chair, Brand Amplifier
· Jayne Rees-Baynes – Proprietor, Elm Grove Country House
Outstanding Entrepreneur Award
· Sally Fielding – Owner, Sally’s Cottages
· Kim Kaewkraikhot – Owner/Chef Director, Thai Leisure Group
· Kirstie Loveday – Managing Director, Love Drinks
· Julianne Ponan – Director, CEO, Creative Nature
Woman of the Year
· Karen Boswell – Managing Director, East Coast Main Line Company Ltd.
· Stephanie Hamilton – Executive Operations Director, ISS Food & Hospitality
· Louise Smalley – Group Human Resources Director, Whitbread
· Alison Tyler – CEO – Commercial, CH& Co
· Norma Unwin – Route Operations Manager – First Capital Connect, FirstGroup
· Sandie Dawe MBE – Chief Executive, VisitBritain
· Susan Gomes – Head of HR Shared Services, Whitbread
· Avril Owton MBE – Owner, The Cloud Hotel
· Affordable Car Hire
· Debbee Dale Development
· Sally’s Cottages
· Accor Hotels
· HIT Training
· Merlin Entertainments
In addition to the awards, shortlisted nominees in the Rising Star and Stepping Up categories and the winners of the Small Business and Outstanding Entrepreneur categories will be matched with career mentors through Women 1st’s Mentoring Programme, funded by the Women 1st bursary scheme.
Women 1st is a campaigning arm of People 1st, the skills and workforce development charity for employers in the hospitality, tourism, leisure, travel, passenger transport and retail industries. It was launched in 2009 to address the issue that large numbers of women were leaving the hospitality, leisure, travel and tourism industries each year and the imbalance between men and women at senior levels. Subsequent research has shown that both passenger transport and retail face similar problems, and the initiative now covers the whole tourism and visitor economy sector.