Nordic Experience partners with expert astronomer, Andy GreenThe Faroe Islands will be one of only two places in the world from where the 2015 total solar eclipse will be visible from dry land (the other is Svalbard) on 20 March.
Any visit to the 18-island Faroes - located 300 km north of Scotland in the North Atlantic, with phenomenal landscapes, fascinating birdlife and award-winning food – is magical. Incorporate a four-day total solar eclipse experience, accompanied by highly-qualified astronomer, Andy Green and you have yourself a veritable once in a lifetime trip.
17 March • Meet Andy Green at Stansted Airport to board a special direct flight to the Faroes, departing at 15.45. Check in at the four-star grass-roofed Hotel Foroyar in the quirky capital of Torshavn on the island of Streymoy 18 March • AM - tour the island of Eysturoy, through traditional villages with multi-coloured houses, past the Faroes’ tallest mountain Slættaratindur at 882 metres, and see the dramatic sea stacks Risin and Kellingin or the Giant and Witch. Legend has it that these two characters visited from Iceland and were so taken by the Faroes that they decided to drag the islands back home but, without them noticing, dawn started to break and they were turned into two stone sea stacks.
• PM - astronomy lecture with Andy Green
• Full-day tour to the unspoilt island of Sandoy, also known as Saga Island. The island is steeped in history, myths and legends, many of which will be recounted by your guide as you stop off at viewpoints and areas of cultural importance.
• In the evening have dinner with Andy Green
• Head to the best location for eclipse viewing with Andy Green
• The partial eclipse will begin at 08:38, reaching its maximum at 09:41, plunging the Faroes into darkness
• Later you have the option to join a Faroese cultural gala dinner where locals and visitors alike will gather to celebrate the auspicious event.
• Head back to the UK – flights departs at 21:00.
Costs from £2,595 pp (two sharing) including return flights (Stansted), private transfers throughout, services and lectures of Andy Green, four nights’ accommodation, daily breakfast, three lunches and three dinners, excursions and guiding. Gala dinner - £50 pp